Heritage Museum

The Solana Beach Heritage Museum is located at 715 Valley Avenue, Solana Beach, California, in La Colonia Park. Built in 1887, the Museum is the first home built in the community. For 101 years it sat on Pepper Tree Lane, later renamed Del Mar Downs Road, overlooking the San Dieguito estuary and today’s Fairgrounds and Race Track. Threatened with demolition, it was moved to La Colonia Park where it is owned by the City of Solana Beach and operated as a museum by the Solana Beach Civic and Historical Society.


In a visit to the Museum, you will discover the key to sleepy Lockwood Mesa’s transformation into bustling Solana Beach.
In the early 1920’s the neighboring communities had running water, electricity and gas, and were experiencing significant growth. However, Lockwood Mesa did not have these utilities and had only three homes with eight hardy souls. Their rugged lifestyle is depicted in a 1900 kitchen and parlor featuring a wood stove, ice box, kerosene lamps, hand water pump, manual clothes washer and wringer, treadle sewing machine, hand vacuum cleaner and wind-up phonographs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 1923 running water arrived from Lake Hodges and predictably the community, now known as Solana Beach, began a period of rapid growth. The more comfortable lifestyle of the new residents is shown in the 1930’s kitchen and living room containing a sink with faucets, refrigerator, gas stove, washing machine with spin dryer, wall phones, Hoover vacuum, electrified sewing machine, cabinet radio and player piano.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A time line photo exhibit traces the arrival of Indians, Spanish explorers, Mexican
Silver Dons, American farmers and Mexican ranch hands. Early pictures of the development of the community of Solana Beach also are featured.

Members of the Solana Beach Civic and Historical Society don period attire and present a Living History Program for more than twenty third grade classes. The Museum also has hosted scout troops and groups from retirement centers and senior citizens clubs.

 

 

The Museum is open to the public on the first and third Saturdays of the month from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Appointments can be made for tours of groups of one or more by calling Curator Kathalyn Nelson at 858-259-7657 and Michele Stribling at 858-354-0478.